Monday, February 3, 2014

Interview with Gloria Steiger

 Inaugural Challenge - March 17, 2014


Hello, everyone!  Mitzi here.  Welcome to the Designer Interview #1.  Today, it's all about Glo (Gloria Steiger), who so graciously agreed to go first on such a short notice.  (Thank you so much, Glo!)
Without further ado, everyone, please meet, Glo!


Gloria Steiger

Mitzi: I love the way you color to give the images your own twist of creepy cuteness (as in the Pumpkin Sprite and the Zombie Kitty).  How long have you been coloring/paper crafting and how did you get started?

Glo: I have always loved art, ever since I can remember. I used to copy the artwork out of my t-books and on my shirts as a kid. I used to copy my Aunt's printing from her letters because I loved how she wrote. I began seriously papercrafting back in 2008. I won the very first challenge I entered for the Greeting Farm (http://creepyglowbugg.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-weiner.html) in 2009, and the rest is history.


Glo's awesome card featuring Zombie Kitty
Mitzi: That's awesome!  You're a natural.  Next question.  I know you love the darker side of the things.  Has that always been the case since you were young?  Was there a book, a movie, a song, or maybe even someone in your life that introduced you to the darker side? 

Glo: My Grandfather told me I was "consistently strange" when I was a kid, and I have taken great pride in that determination. My Grandparents were magicians and they were married on Hallowe'en. They lived in a Victorian mansion filled with all sorts of wonderfully strange things. My Grandfather was the town doctor and had a great collection of medical stuff and skeletons. They had a bunch of taxidermied critters, antiques, and magic tricks to keep a young, imaginative mind very occupied. I grew up on Edward Gorey, The Addams Family, Sid and Marty Krofft, and 80's horror movies. I think that is all reflected in my art.


Glo's DoD card with "Marigold Sprite"
Mitzi: That is all so cool! How many of us can say our grandparents were magicians. Not many! That's for sure. OK. Next question. When you're not coloring and crafting, what do you enjoy doing?

Glo: When I am not crafting, I enjoy reading fiction, watching my favorite shows like American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, The Returned, Bates Motel, True Detective, and Hannibal. As you can see, there is a theme going.
We just got a new puppy, so he keeps me pretty busy as well. I enjoy gardening, photography, and playing with polymer clay. I am quite a collector of pop culture stuff, $2 bills,vintage metal lunch boxes, tribal masks, and many, many, other things. Oh! And I like to alter doll heads, too.

Mitzi: Well, I got a glimpse into your wonderful collection of beautiful and/or creepy objects on some of the photos you shared with us on FB.  Of all these items in your collection, what is your favorite, if you can pick one, and why?

Glo: If I had to choose just one item that means the most to me, I'd have to choose, "Juan" my taxidermied iguana. He belonged to my Grandparent's, and when I was asked what I wanted from their estate, I wanted Juan. He plays the harp. Did I forget to mention that?


Glo's harp-playing, taxidermied iguana, "Juan".
Mitzi: Impressive!  Love him!  He epitomizes your style of "creepy cute", indeed.  Next question.  I know that Hallowe'en is your favorite 'season', as you said in the bio.  I'm curious, but just how elaborately do you celebrate?  I'm guessing that you definitely dress up in costumes and probably have an extended celebration? 

Glo: Hallowe'en is in my blood. I bleed orange and black. I have close to 10 storage bins full of decorations, and I start decorating in September. My birthday is 9/16, so I usually try to have everything done by then. It's a lot of work, but I love it. I took last year off, but this year I'll be back at it full blast. I also fancy myself something of a Hallowe'en artist, so I'm always creating with Hallowe'en in mind.

Halloween card with "Pumpkin Sprite"
Mitzi: I look forward to seeing some pictures later this year. Now, something completely different. Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Glo: Both. I have always had at least one dog and cat growing up. Right now I have 2 cats (Norwegian Forest cats), and we just got a Parsons Jack Russel puppy last week. I have a memorial tattoo for my sweet cat, Cosmos. He was 16 when he passed.

Mitzi: I like NFC. Huge and fluffy. My kind of cats. Getting back onto the topic of art stuff, what is your favorite art tool and why?

Glo: I am partial to my Copics. I don't really care for the results if I color with another medium. I am really getting into fine art supplies, so I like my gesso and crackle mediums.

Mitzi: Right on! Just for fun, when you were little, what did you want to be when you grow up?

Glo:  I always wanted to be a veterinarian, but once I realized I would have to make really difficult decisions and bring peace to suffering animals, I figured out it wasn't for me. I'd be a blubbering mess every single day. Good or bad. I'm a big cry baby.

Purple Broccoli With "Broccoli Sprite"
Mitzi: Aww... Last question.  If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you like to go visit?

Glo: I'd love to travel through Europe and see all the beautiful architecture, statuaries, cathedrals, castles, and museums.

Mitzi: You'll love all the creepy statues and gargoyles. Cemetery and/or haunted castles tour of Europe would be just your thing. ^^ Well, thank you so much for the interview. I had so much fun. Still can't get over how cool your Juan is. Thank you for sharing his picture with us. That was great!

You can visit Glo's blog "Creepy Glowbugg Concoctions" here.

Fall Theme With "Grumpy Fae"

Bright and Sunny Card with "Calla Lily"

Christmas Card with "Holly Sprite"
Thank you for being with us today on our first installment of the Designer Interview.   Hope you had as much fun as we did. ^^  Please stop by next week when I interview another DT member, Debbie Pamment.  


8 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

Great interview, Glo! So happy to see you've introduced Juan to the gals. Love ya, Chickie! xxD

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Love Juan! Fabulous interview with an insight to what makes you tick xxx

Alison said...

Super huge congrats, Glo! So happy for you and Aurora Wings! Great interview, and i look forward to the new challenges.

Unknown said...

Fantastic interview. Again, Glo, congratulations! You deserve it. I can't wait to see more of your coloring.

Claire said...

Lovely to 'meet' you Glo, your artwork is gorgeous! Looking forward to the new challenges
Claire xx

Andrea C said...

Glo is a credit to any team. Her work is fantastic and she is one interesting person. xxx

Karina said...

I had fun reading your interview... very interesting and how cool is Juan!!! Thank you Glo and Mitzi.
Hugs, Karina

Carole S said...

Lovely to meet you Glo, bet you have fun here. x